Sunday, October 3, 2010

CEP810: RSS Feeder Reflections

  • Sep. 23, 2010 – With the five given feeds, I can already look through 482 topics that are related to education and technology.  Then I decided to add and follow the blog, Technology and Learning, which made it to a total of 585 topics. I consider these resources as great examples as I start searching for additional feeds into Netvibes.
  • Sep. 25, 2010 - After I have completed the task, because of Netvibes’ ease of use and functionality, it was uncomplicated for me to search and add nine more feeds that are related to education and technology.  I particularly watched the Adult Education and Technology blog.
  •  Sept. 27, 2010 – I started with five sites with 482 topics and in just few days, I have 15 sites with 1070 topics that I can use towards my professional development.  At the "Adult Education and Technology" blog, I posted a comment on a video about a vision about how screen technology will be working by 2014 for adult education.  I waited for it to be approved for web posting by the blog author.  Unfortunately, the blog hasn’t been updated for days and my comment has not been posted.  The blog contains great resources which made me decide to still keep the site.   
  • Sept. 28, 2010 – The “On Blogging and Social Media” site has not been active too and I decided to replace it with the New York Times subscription.  The following day, I left a comment on an article regarding a study where many children want to read using digital devices, while parents worry technology will distract young bookworms. This time, my comment (#30) was approved and has been recommended by two other readers.
  • Oct. 3, 2010 – I have a total of 1,114 resources for teaching and learning! Podcasts, blogs, articles, lesson plans, creativity tools – you name it.  Now, all I need is 1,114 extra minutes to catch up. The sites I have are very useful sites. My rss feeds are set in public view and meant for sharing!  When I started searching for web sites, I tried to make sure there was a balance of learning and teaching resources that are related to technology.  It will be just a waste of time and energy gathering all these information if they are not useful towards my professional development. 
  • Oct. 5, 2010 -  Read more of my insights that I have written about this lab activity. 
As Alvin Tolfer says, “The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”    As I reflect on this activity, I think I should always strive on focusing on these three elements:  I should always be prepared to LEARN and explore new ways of learning new technology and teaching strategies;  be willing to UNLEARN and shift my understanding from old models to updated views; and be open to RELEARN and revisit the foundations and the basic instructional design of education.

1 comment:

Miztech said...

RSS feeds worry me because I am fearful that I will still miss the latest news. Who can read all that stuff??? But - it is there at my finger tips and I can peruse it without the delay of using a search engine.

The Toffler quote is a favorite of mine once used as part of my email signature. There is just so much truth in it.

Post a Comment