Tuesday, September 28, 2010

CEP810: Social Networking: friend or foe?



Social media, how do I think it can be useful to us?  Here are the ways …
 
Professionally, social media -
  • helps me encourage students to connect and coach classmates and discuss unique and practical situations such as job searching, job interview experiences, and life lessons.
  • serves as an extension of the classroom.
  • is the most practical way of applying technology to real life.
  • adds to the concept of informal learning.
  • taps into existing students as well as prospective students.
  • enables me to reach out to our school alumni.
  • enhances student/teacher relationship.
Personally, social media -
  • helps me maintain a list of contact details of people that I know and/or trust.
  • connects me to my family and friends from the other side of the world .
  • answers my need for speed of results as we increase our frequency of communicating with others.
  • is the cheapest way to create my learning loop.
  • helps me stay on top technology trends.
I see SOCIAL NETWORKING as an opportunity, instead of a distraction to learning.  Do you agree?


1 comment:

Miztech said...

Oh, I definitely agree with you that it is an opportunity for learning. Now how do we get parents and school policy makers to agree with us. Technology is powerful but if not thoughtfully used it can be a waste of time. We want it to be a great learning tool.

Post a Comment